Thursday 7 August 2014

(Top 50 Countdown!!!) 48. Tin Tin - "Toast And Marmalade For Tea"




I love it when high-concept, bare-bones, one-idea singles become big hits. I mean, there’s “White Rabbit”, “O Superman”, this… . It gives me encouragement that yes, even I could magic one up if I’m lucky (there’s gotta be a gold disc waiting for a two-minute tambourine solo, right?). I wish I’d been in the studio when the boys rolled in with no chorus and just one-and-three-quarter verses: I guess it would’ve prompted a bit of discussion…

“Where’s the rest of it?”
“That’s all there is. We just keep doing key changes”
“Wait… what?”
“It’s OK, we have purity of vision.”
“You… what?”
“We have purity of vision.”
“Er, OK. Is this purity of vision going to extend to everything you record?”
“No. We’re a one-hit wonder.”
“OK. I’ll stick a bit of Leslie on it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment