Monday 11 August 2014

(Top 50 Countdown!!!) 44. Don Henley - "The Boys Of Summer"



Look, I know what you’re thinking: you’re wondering how something as defiantly 80s mainstream AOR could possibly be a bigger influence on The Pooh Sticks than “Throw Aggi Off The Bridge”, right? But maybe only if you’re not American, cos American fans (OK, I say ‘fans’, but I maybe just mean ‘enablers’…) do seem, on the whole, mostly, on balance, more often than not, to happily join the dots between the boy Henley’s sportscar/Deadhead-sticker/sun-tan Grammy-bothering and our, kinda, other. Plus, he does sing it nice, doesn’t he? It is, fair play, one of the best singings I know of on a record, so I was immediately on board when this one was getting spun our end during the recording of “Million Seller” and it was being decreed that “Jelly On A Plate” was going to be ‘this, but different’. Turned out quite a lot different, I know, but if I asked I’m sure I’d be told that the ‘feel’ is there.

"Think Bubble" is an album (LP only) of 1995 demos for an unreleased Pooh Sticks album.
See 'About Me' for details.






No comments:

Post a Comment