Wednesday 13 August 2014

(Top 50 Countdown!!!) 42. Lesley Gore - "Immortality"



Whose holy grail is it not to hang onto childhood innocence but also be Marilyn Monroe at the same time? Or is that just me (look, if I had some posters of me printed, would you promise to blue-tac them up somewhere sweet and then all chip in to get me a drawer in Westwood Village Memorial)? Anyway, by the time this came out it had already been years since Lesley Gore’s heyday (“It’s My Party”, of course, but also “Judy’s Turn To Cry”… which is a very Pooh Sticks-ish title, isn’t it?) and no-one really bought it, apparently. I like the way it’s all a bit uncomfortable-sounding, with that kinda swirling vertigo-ness that you also get in “A Whiter Shade Of Pale”, and then with that lyric which combines wistful nostalgia with spookiness (a bit like “If You Could Read My Mind”, directly, or maybe “Sundown” with not quite so much threat) and the steely, determined denial of someone off-off-Broadway and likely to stay there. OK, you might say I’ve been thinking about this one too much, and maybe I should get out more – maybe follow the cats out for a stroll – but it keeps me entertained. I seem to remember “Immortality” being pointed at when we made “Susan Sleepwalking”…?

"Think Bubble" is an album (LP only) of 1995 demos for an unreleased Pooh Sticks album.
See 'About Me' for details.





No comments:

Post a Comment