Monday 29 September 2014

(Top 50 Countdown!!!) 5. Boston - "More Than A Feeling"






























I don’t know: is it me, or is "More Than A Feeling" actually the only good Boston song? Could it be that Tom Scholz’s deal with the devil was for just one single, and then Satan declined to pick up the option? Cos, I don’t know, this one has it all – like, it literally seems to have it all, at least in Boston terms. It’s got the wistful “Walk Away Renee” verse with loss and the radio, and then it’s got the big power-chorus with, er, the loss and the radio. Apart from a guitar sound which I’m sure is really good, I don’t know, that’s sorta it, isn’t it? Which, to be fair, in Pooh Sticks land, is more or less all we really cared about, loss and the radio. (Sound like fun?? Look, I’m over-egging it a bit, don’t listen to me.) Anyway, I don’t think I could point to any one particular Pooh Sticks song which has extra amounts of “More Than A Feeling” going on: it was more like oxygen – always there and necessary but invisible, I suppose.

Here's some thinkings about the actual recording, and that.


"Think Bubble" is an album (LP only) of 1995 demos for an unreleased Pooh Sticks album.
See 'About Me' for details.






No comments:

Post a Comment