Thursday 11 September 2014

(Top 50 Countdown!!!) 17. Reunion - "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)"


It’s that man Joey Levine again, him from The Ohio Express etc.. Sometime after his bubblegum heyday, he came up with this one, which somehow manages to still sound innocent and joyous despite being blatantly dollars-and-cents at the same time (so, much like the best Super K stuff then). My favourite time I heard this on the radio was during the mixing of “Million Seller” in New York: we were in an expensive studio, really posh (the band who’d been in directly before us was the ‘Stones!), high up in some building, and out of the window right next to the Duck Hunt video-game machine (Hue replaced Michael Bolton as the top scorer!) you could look down onto Bryan Ferry’s roof terrace, on which there were always models sunbathing. I should’ve gone down and joined them; I’m sure I’d’ve fit right in. Anyway, whenever I hear this record now, apart from enjoying spotting the breathing-edits, I always think of that studio, and how amazing it was that we’d made it that far from a basement in Swansea. So yeah, I think this might’ve been Levine’s last hit, not sure. He probably didn’t have any puff left to make any more.  

"Think Bubble" is an album (LP only) of 1995 demos for an unreleased Pooh Sticks album. See 'About Me' for details.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment